Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Cultural Learnings of Uruguay for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of America – Episode 2: Cars

Uruguayans do not replace their cars every three years as is common practice with many Americans. By looking at the traffic passing by, it is clear that the cars in this country live long, difficult lives. It is common to see cars from the 30's and 40's still out on the road. They are often held together with many coats of bondo, rust, lots of paint, and wire. Somehow though, the talented mechanics of Uruguay keep these vehicles still functioning long after they were intended to be trashed. The negative side to this is there are many cars on the road that are downright unsafe. Pollution control is minimal and a thick smog covers the roads during rush hour.


















It always brings a smile to my face when I see a Festiva pass by. A Festiva was my first car and in my weak moments I dream of owning one again. At least now I know where I can get one in good condition.


















No comments: