Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Backyard Garden - Week 1

One of the highlights of each year is eating fresh tomatoes straight from my backyard garden. I have been growing tomatoes for around eight years now and I have yet to have a bad harvest. I decided this year it might be fun to track the growth of my garden as well as what I am able to eat out of it.

In addition to tomatoes, this year I am growing garlic, onions, and spinach. I have had mixed results with onions and spinach in the past but I have high hopes this year. Every year I have a great garlic harvest which supplies about 2/3 of my usage. This is quite a bit considering I cook a lot at home and most of my food has at least some garlic.

I am feeling constrained by the small amount of garden space I have, though I have enough space for my "essentials". This summer I will likely work to expand the garden so I can accommodate peppers, beets, beans, squash, and perhaps even some pumpkin.

Total cost for the garden this year is as follows:
Spinach seed- Free, left over from last year
Onion sets- $1.50
Tomato plants- $2.00
Manure- $13.70
Garlic- Free, stored from last year
Organic Fertilizer - Free, pulled out of storage

Total Cost to Date: $17.20
Total Harvest to Date: 0

3 comments:

Maddy said...

Where did you get all those tomato plants for $2?? I end up paying three times that per plant!

Mike Kaizar said...

Maddy, good question. I got seven tomoto plants from my Mom, who has been nurturing them by a window indoors. The other six plants came from the flea market for the bargain price of $2. Incredible considering they are over $3 each at Wal-Mart.

Maddy said...

Thanks for the tips! I ended up getting a good deal at the farmer's market. They get planted this weekend ... now that our night time temps are finally above freezing!