Sunday, October 26, 2008

Rojo Bicicleta

I have made my first large purchase here in Uruguay, a shiny new bicycle. It is bright red, has but one gear, and wide silly looking tires. It is a good solid bike though, suitable for the relatively flat terrain of Uruguay. I will mostly be using it to get around town so I do not always need to pay for a cab. It is also good exercise. Total cost was about $120, including bike pump and good lock. Bike theft is a big problem here though, so hopefully I will be able to keep it relatively unscathed during the next two months I am here.


I have taken the bike for some rides along the Rambla this weekend and it has been spectacular. There is a bike path all along the coast, passing beaches, lighthouses, restaurants, and condominiums. With spring slowly yielding to summer, this is a perfect time of the year for a nice ride along the water.



photos courtesy of Laura B.

3 comments:

Katie said...

Kudos to you! I walked, I bused, and I cabbed...but I did not have the guts to bike. Those drivers are just too crazy for my blood!

Barbara said...

It's Peewee Herman! Keep that bike locked. Peewee had his bike stolen. Didn't he find it in the Alamo?

I am so jealous of your new purchase and new vistas. I love how you take full advantage of your experiences. The landscape around Montevideo seems really flat. Maybe you only need one gear. Has Alan seen a photo of your new wheels?

Alan said...

I have now.
Sweet ride!

Mike, I was wondering if you'd post about bicycles there in the city. Are they used for work/utility purposes, as well as general transportation? Have you seen any interesting utility bikes? I assume no one wears helmets, just like "everywhere except the US."