Thursday, October 2, 2008

Can you tell me how to get to Montevideo?

Today is my last day in the United States, I am leaving tomorrow for Montevideo, Uruguay. My total travel time is about 16 hours if you include the layovers. I hop from Columbus to Chicago to Miami. From Miami, I have an overnight flight directly to Montevideo with an anticipated landing time right around 9am. Clausen, the company I am working with in Uruguay, has arranged for a Taxi to pick me up which is really appreciated as I am sure I will be tired and confused.

A few facts from Wikipedia about Uruguay for my US friends. Uruguay is a country located in the southeastern part of South America. It is home to 3.46 million people, of whom 1.7 million live in the capital Montevideo and its metropolitan area. It is bordered by Brazil to the north, by Argentina across the bank of both the Uruguay River to the west and the estuary of Río de la Plata to the southwest, and the South Atlantic Ocean to the southeast. Montevideo was founded by the Spanish in the early 18th century as a military stronghold. The economy is largely based on agriculture (making up 10% of GDP and the most substantial export) and the state sector, Uruguay's economy is on the whole more stable than in its surrounding states, and it maintains a solid reputation with investors.


According to Transparency International, Uruguay is the least corrupt country in Latin America (with Chile), with its political and labor conditions being among the freest on the continent. In November 2007 it became the first Latin American country and the second in all of the Americas (after Canada) to recognize same-sex civil unions at the national level. 94.6% of the population are of European descent. 47,1% of Uruguayans are declared Roman Catholics, 11,1% Protestant and 0,3% Jewish. 40,4% do not attend church. Uruguay is South America's most secular country, where there is no official religion, and in which church and state are separate.

1 comment:

Tracey said...

Michael - I enjoy reading all your blogs since we don't get to talk nearly enough! I was hoping to find a blog entry from Urguay tonight, but alas... none yet! Write soon!! I miss you, TC