Sunday, September 21, 2008

The Saturday Brazilian Feast

With all the travel I have done lately, I have not spent much time in my kitchen. In contrast to much of my generation, I love to cook and I would take my own food over any restaurant. Last night I took the time to try out something new – a vegetarian version of a Feijoada, the national dish of Brazil. The recipe came from my favorite cookbook – the Moosewood Low-Fat Favorites. It consists of three separate foods that meld together beautifully. They share common spices but contrast enough that they keep your interest.

On one large platter, a pile of the Feijoada is placed. A defining characteristic of a Feijoada is the dominance of black beans. In a non-vegetarian version, smoked pork is also added. The beans along with celery, green peppers, and lots of onions are cooked in a coriander broth for over an hour. Along with the Feijorda, Brazilian rice and soy sauced kale are heaped on the platter. For interest, and as a dessert, orange slices are placed around the rim.
Elly and I were joined by my Mother in Law for a relaxed meal on the back deck. We shared a bottle of Gato Negro Chardonnay from Chile that was much better than you would expect of a wine that cost a mere $3.99. It was the sort of quiet dinner you would hope to have this time of the year.

No comments: